What’s the weather like this week?

Click Here For Environment Canada’s 5 Day Forecast

What should I bring for fishing?

Bring your fishing tackle, rain gear, rubber boots and don’t forget your camera and plenty of film for those moments you will wish to remember. We also recommend you bring warm clothing…sweaters, jackets, etc… for May, September and October and for those chilly early mornings of July and August.

Here is a copy of our suggested tackle list: CLICK HERE

Do I need a fishing guide?

Yes, for first time guests on our 45 mile long river/lake system, we suggest you go with a guide for 1-2 days.

What should I bring for hunting?

Bring your normal hunting equipment and extra warm clothing. Don’t forget your rain gear, rubber boots, fishing equipment, and camera. Hunter orange hat and vest are also required.
An Ontario Hunting Licence can be issued only if you can produce an expired or current license to hunt from your home state.

When does the walleye / musky / bass/ pike season open?

Fishing seasons and limits for our area are summarized in the table below for convenience only. Please click Ontario Fishing Regulations to download a copy of the Official Regulations from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources in PDF format.

Species Seasons & Limits

Walleye & Sauger

3rd Saturday in May to Dec 31
Jan 1 to March 14

Winnipeg River System – from the outflow of Lake of the Woods to the Manitoba Border.

Walleye must be between 35-45 cm (13.8-17.7 in.)

Resident walleye and sauger catch and possession limit of four (4), Conservation licence limit of two (2)

Note: Non-resident walleye and sauger catch and possession limit of two (2), Conservation licence limit of one (1).

Northern Pike

Open all year
Full – 4 in one day
Conservation – 2 in one day
Size Limit: none greater than 29.5 inches


3rd Saturday in June to Nov 30
Full – Possession
limit of 1
Conservation – 0
Size limit: minimum length 137 cm (54 inch)

Smallmouth Bass

Open all year
Full – 0 per day – closed (Dec 1 to June 30); 4 per day (July 1 to Nov 30)
Conservation – 0  per day closed (Dec 1 to June 30); 2 per day (July 1 to Nov 30)


Open all year
Full – 15 per day
Conservation – 10 per day


Open all year
Full – 15 per day
Conservation – 10 per day

How much alcohol or tobacco can I bring into Canada duty free?

A non-Canadian resident 19 years of age or older may bring into Canada:
” up to one 40 oz bottle of liquor or wine OR 24 – 12 oz cans or bottles of beer or ale.
” 200 cigarettes (1 carton) OR 50 cigars

Do I need a passport to visit Canada?

As of June 2009, passports are required for all border crossings.

For more information about requirements to come into Canada please see Canada Border Services Agency cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html , and U.S. citizen passport requirements are at travel.state.gov

What are the usual wait times at the borders?

Border wait times vary throughout the summer. The Canada Border Services Agency has a quick link for border wait times. Fort Frances is usually a very busy border. Other convenient border crossings for guests driving from the Midwest States are located at Emerson MB and Pembina ND, and at Rainy River ON and Baudette MN.

I have a previous DUI (minor offence). What do I need to do to cross the border into Canada?

In Canada, a DUI is considered a criminal offence. If the DUI is older than 10 years with no other offences, then you are deemed rehabilitated and should have no difficulties crossing the border.  If the DUI is between 5 and 10 years old, there are certain steps that you need to take to apply for rehabilitation and admissibility into Canada. Call Fort Frances Border services (807) 274-3655 and ask for Immigration Dept. to find out specific options to crossing the border with DUI’s

Due to improved screening at the borders, even though you may have been able to cross into Canada in prior years, you may be subject to additional questioning and difficulties at the border. Also, it is quite important that you are honest and forthright regarding minor offences such as DUI’s. It is much better to volunteer information than to conceal it.

For more information on admissibility. please feel free to contact us, and we will be glad to try and answer your questions. For further assistance people can also contact:

Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters Association (N.O.T.O.)
386 Algonquin Avenue
North Bay, ON, Canada P1B 4W3
Phone 1-705-472-5552. Fax 1-705-472-0621.
Email: info@noto.net

What cannot be brought into Canada?

Radar Detectors
Live minnows, leeches
Dog Food
Military style attack rifles
Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds for centre fire rifles)

What food am I allowed to bring into Canada?

Visitors to Canada may bring certain goods as “personal baggage”, duty and tax free, provided all such items are declared to Customs upon arrival, and are not subject to restriction.
*A reasonable amount of personal items, supply of food (for personal use) and a full tank of gas.
*Gifts not exceeding $60 Cdn for a friend/relative in Canada. This does not include tobacco products, alcohol or advertising material. Gifts valued at more that $60 Cdn are subject to duty or applicable taxes on the amount the gift exceeds the $60 value.
*Live earthworms are permitted, but only when packed in artificial bedding (no earth or soil). Frozen or salted minnows are allowed.
* Fresh potatoes from the USA (Limit 10#per person) in the original packaging unopened.

Can I bring a pet?

Dogs & cats that enter Canada must have a valid rabies vaccination certificate, signed and dated by a veterinarian issued within the preceding 36 months. The certificate must provide a sufficient description and detail in order to identify the pet.

Be sure to ask us beforehand if we can accommodate your particular pet.

What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?

ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.
You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or Competition purposes in you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.
For more information contact 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian
Firearms Centre at cfc-ccaf.gc.ca

Where can I stay in Kenora if I need to get a hotel?

There are many great places to stay while visiting the Kenora area. The following is a short list of a few places around the city for your convenience, or, if there is somewhere else that you would like to stay or you want to get a room in Minaki please give us a call and we can help you out.

* Best Western Lakeside Inn: Phone 1-800-465-1120 or 1-807-468-5521, www.bwlakeside.com
* Days Inn: Phone 1-800-465-1123 or 1-807-468-2003, www.daysinn.ca
* Comfort Inn: Phone 1-800-228-5150 or 1-807-468-8845, www.choicehotels.ca/cn272
* Lake Vu Motel: Phone 1-866-594-6366 or 1-807-468-5501, www.lakevumotel.com
* Super 8 Motel: Phone 1-800-800-8000 or 1-807-468-8016, www.super8.com